Thursday, July 10, 2008

Gold Coast 42k - tick!

We're back from the Gold Coast. I went to do the half and ended up doing the marathon! The day before the event we met Phil C at Harbourtown and he said that he was hoping to get Margaret through her marathon in 7 hours (she's 80!). I thought I can do that!
So in pouring rain I went back to the registration tent and once Simon had retrieved my race number from the apartment I upgraded. The girl on the counter was very surprised - most people were downgrading!
The race day dawned with pouring rain and winds. Lucky by the time we started it was just slightly overcast and there were a few drizzles.
The event went well with the ladies relaxed and enjoying themselves. The only fly in the ointment was the official who tried to pull us off at 25k. He said we had gone over the cut-off - noone was aware of any such cut-off and Margaret steamed off refusing to be thwarted.
The shock did manage to reduce the number of toilet stops so we made good time and by the next new cut-off we were 1 minute over and by the time Dot and I got to the next cut-off we were under the cut-off time! The organisers had agreed to keep the finish open longer but in the end it was totally unnecessary! Dot and I passed tired entrants as we gently coasted into the finish and Margaret and entourage finished under cut-off time too!
All the stress was forgotten by evening and we had a good story to dine out on. Most of the support workers were fantastic - encouraging and caring. Our 'tail end Charlie' woman on her scooter was a real star.
I came through feeling great and even managed a day at Movie World the next day no problem!

No comments: